Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Favorite Spots: The Rooftop Garden @ Mission and 1st




Cubicles and offices can be dark and gloomy. They can leave you dreary and out-of-touch with the natural world. There are days when I'm not even sure if the sun is shining because I'm trapped in my office behind a computer screen. With such conditions, it becomes absolutely necessary to escape at lunchtime and enjoy the outdoors.

Downtown San Francisco is not exactly jam-packed with green spaces, but they do exist. My most favorite, or at least the best and closest one to my work is a rooftop garden off of First Street on Mission on top of a parking garage. This is THE spot to go to grab some rays and enjoy your lunch. There are trees and flowers and grass; it feels like an oasis among the tall concrete and glass buildings. It's not a secret place, and on sunny days can be quite crowded, but nothing can really deter me from coming here.

If you need some structure, there are a few tables and chairs. If you want to lounge around, there are a couple large, grassy areas suitable for a laying about and getting a tan. You'll definitely see a few suits taking brief naps here on the nicest of days.

I really can't think of a bad thing to say about this place. I kind of wish they had compost bins along with the trash and recycling, but that is seriously the only negative for me. Some weeks I come here every day. The sunshine can be quite addictive. Even when I don't make it out to the garden, it's reassuring knowing it is there should I need a swift kick of vitamin D or just to see some flowers in the midst of the concrete jungle.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: