Saturday, July 24, 2010

SOMA Sunshine

From Drop Box

Summer and sunshine are two things that really don't go together in San Francisco, especially for me a resident of the western edge of the city, a fog shrouded neighborhood known as the Outer Sunset. Each morning I wake up to grey skies and chilly ocean breezes. I put on cable knit tights and sweaters. There is no sunshine and it most likely isn't warm. I make sure to bring a jacket and put gloves in my purse because that ocean wind can go rogue at any moment. I board the N-Judah and it whisks me away to a totally different world, the bayside of the city.

In the summer the bayside can be foggy too, but it can also be sunny and awesome and the complete opposite of what is going on in the Sunset. I take my lunch break from work outside because that California sunshine is too good to waste and too precious to let go when you live in the City. At the end of the day I choose my method of transportation, either the train or the bus. Lately, I'm totally into the bus because the train feels so claustrophobic at rush hour.

Taking the bus means waiting at the soon to be defunct Transbay Terminal, a place that really deserves its own post because it is just that crazy of a place. While there are times you will run into crazy homeless people screaming at nothing, it's usually pretty uneventful. It is also the last few moments I have to soak up some sunshine before heading back into the fog. Yesterday as I waited for the 71-L the sun was in full effect. Glorious SOMA sunshine is amazing and it definitely helps keep the SF summer doldrums at bay.

No comments: