Sunday, July 25, 2010

Picnic in the Park

From Collages

I've always been a sucker for a good picnic. When Nik and I lived in Omaha, I made it a point to purchase a cute picnic basket (a Pier 1 special) to use for all my future picnics. A picnic basket is a necessity for the serious picnicker; I always wanted to be a serious picnicker.

Over the years, I've definitely packed some great picnics. During Nik and I's first picnic, I introduced him to brie and he's loved it ever since. I like to keep my picnics simple with small, snacky dishes, and I always throw in some bread and cheese, perfect picnic food.

For today's picnic I had a lot of fresh produce hanging out in the fridge from our CSA box that I wanted to incorporate. The menu consisted of:

Fresh corn salsa with tortilla chips (basic pico de gallo recipe with fresh, blanched corn added)
Spring Mix and strawberry salad with croutons and strawbery balsamic viniagrette (recipe from Vegetarian Times with a few tweaks)
Baguette with brie cheese
Double chocolate brownies
Sparkling Italian white wine

The food was so pretty and delicious. Simple and elegant as picnics should be. Thanks to Nik we had a great secluded spot in Golden Gate Park to enjoy it all. He found a nice clearing, right off of Chain of Lakes. There may not have been any sunshine, but it was a perfect picnic.

1 comment:

Jenny Mick! said...

That sounds pretty fantastic! One of my favorite memories is eating the most amazing eggplant parmesan sandwich on the beach by golden gate!