Sunday, March 28, 2010

Lemons in the Sunset

Lemons growing in California is probably not going to surprise anyone, but this tree in the Sunset amazes me every time I see it.

From Kimonade and the Big City

You might ask, why is this so amazing? First off this is San Francisco; we are not located in warm, sunny southern California. Northern California is a whole different beast, and San Francisco has it's very own particular climate. Even within San Francisco there are further subdivisions of climate known as microclimates. In the Sunset the climate is generally cold and foggy with constant ocean breezes, not exactly ideal for growing a lot of fruits, especially citrus. Somehow this tree manages against all odds, and it seems to produce a good number of lemons. I love seeing it on my walks around the neighborhood. It makes me wish I had a lemon tree in our yard.

No comments: